Saturday, May 17, 2008

Talking to God from the Middle of Nowhere

There are a lot of things going on in my life right now, and You already know that it's a combination of all of these things that have finally led me back to You. No matter how hard I've tried to run away and hide my dreams from You, there is nowhere I can run from Your love. In the end, it is Your voice I hear in the turmoil of my life's storms, and it is Your voice that always draws me home.

Lord, You know my heart. No matter how I rationalize my decisions or sanitize my intentions, You see all that is inside me - even the thoughts that I struggle to hide. You see everything that goes on in my life and in my heart from the perspective of the One who knows me better than I know myself. You have plans for me that are so much more that I can ever imagine.

I am here at a point in my life when there are so many options and nothing is clear. I am tired of going about making these decisions on my own, Lord. I lay all this open before You and invite You to be a part of this time in my life.

I've put off doing this because for the longest time I've thought of You as the "dictatorial God." I'd always thought submitting to "Your will" was an all-or-nothing decision, as absolute as black and white or right or wrong. I never really asked the questions because I was afraid to hear the answers. But now that I have begun asking me these questions, I hear no imperative commands apart from Your invitation to surrender and to open myself to possibilities.

It is hard to surrender my dreams, Lord, even to the One who created them. But that is what You want me to do. You challenge me to trust that You really have a plan for my life that is for my good even if whatever it is far beyond my understanding. You challenge me to surrender my dreams into Your hands and have faith that where You are taking me will never go against the deepest desires of my heart.

At this point in my life, You stand with me at this crossroads and invite me to take this walk with You. You make no promises that it will be a smooth road with no trials or tribulations on the way. But You do make the promise that no matter where it leads me, You will be with me through it all - as You have always been.

Lord, give me the grace to let myself be led by You. And as I let go of my dreams and put them in Your hands, help me embrace the truth that I know in my head but have yet to truly learn in my heart - that You are all I need.

No comments: